Thursday, July 29, 2010

Big Purchase. Maybe.

My parents are quite fond of purchasing houses and updating them or renting them out. One time I went to EFY on Monday and I came home on Saturday and they told me that they bought a house while I was gone. Some people have parents who buy a pizza or perhaps go buy a new book while they're out of town for a week. My parents are just a little more ambitious.

My dad has been asking me for a while when I was going to join in the fun and buy my first house, and suddenly this summer it seemed like a good thing to really do. My sisters have been looking online at www.utahrealestate.com for some houses. I decided to take a gander and just see what was out there. My younger sister, Kristi, found out a house in Bountiful that she loved and ended up going to see it and things started progressing along for her to buy it. (She made and had an offer accepted, but it's a short sale, which isn't at all indicative of the amount of time it will take to close. Things are still in the works but she's still hoping it will all turn out well.) I sent my paperwork to the financial guy who was going to see what Kristi could qualify for just to see what I could qualify for. That gave me more hope and I went out with a realtor, Jill, and I've been looking through houses for a few weeks. Today I went and saw the very first house I went through the first time I went out with the realtor and I really liked it. It's not the fanciest house in the world, but it has 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, all recently remodeled and it seems like a good neighborhood to live in. It's in Sandy, not terribly far from my work. I decided it was worth a shot. I met with Jill tonight and wrote up an offer. Yep, I made an offer on a house. I don't really feel like I'm quite that grown up, but apparently I am! :) I kinda don't think they'll accept and I'm not 100% sure what I'll do with a counteroffer, but for right now I'm pretty excited!

2 comments:

  1. eeee! That's exciting! We go look at houses...but we're not ready to buy one yet. I'm a little jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exciting! Crossing my fingers for you. And good point about your parents sometimes buy a new house from time to time. I'm glad your day was dude better than mine. I can't wait to help you pick out a kitten for your new home.

    ReplyDelete